As I work through edits of my YA contemporary novel, SHARING HUNTER MILLS, I feel like I am passing through manic-depressive disorder over and over in quick succession. I read one passage and think, “Wow, did I write that? I’m awesome!” And a little ways down the page, I read another passage and think, “Wow, did I write that? I’m awful!” And back and forth and back and forth… I have a feeling some writers out there can relate.
Other epiphanies while editing include:
- I apparently think people wink a lot. My characters need to tone down their eye issues.
- I used several rhetorical devices without realizing it (e.g., anaphora), and adding a few more helped with pacing and intensity.
- I need to strengthen my transitions from one scene or one chapter to the next.
- I like my main characters and their quirkiness.
- I like the story and want to continue chiseling and polishing this manuscript until it shines.
Not a bad set of realizations. I doubt that I’m either awesome or awful; I’m somewhere in between. However, my willingness to persevere with this WIP and do the hard work of editing actually makes me, well, a writer.
Let’s look at how my perseverance with ROW80 goals is going:
- Cheer on the ROW80 participants. Check. I’m so impressed with how far we’ve come. Some of us have had a few less productive weeks, but on the whole the round has been a great one.
- Revise SHARING HUNTER MILLS, my young adult contemporary novel, using Margie Lawson’s Deep EDITS program. Check. I am working through another lesson and looking at rhetorical devices and setting/description.
- Exercise at least twice each week. Check. Zumba + a long, sweaty walk.
- Submit a query for SHARING HUNTER. On hold, although I did get a partial request for a query I had already sent. I’ll reply tomorrow.
- Read at least 50 pages of current craft book. Check. Reading Wired for Story. So far, it’s been wonderful.
Add on this week:
- I want to keep fresh with writing, so I plan to work on writing a short story.
- Write and present interview questions for three guests who will be stopping by my blog this fall. More information to come! I’m excited to have a few friends join me for my High School Halls blog series.
How are your ROW80 or other writing goals going? We’re coming down the home stretch! Be sure to wave your flags, throw confetti, and cheer everyone on. You can find them HERE.