Some time ago, I collected favorite writing quotes and put them into a document to refer to now and then. This past week, I have struggled with focus in my WIP, a young adult novel called Sharing Hunter. The book is plotted, and I love the idea and characters. However, when I wrote, the story wasn’t coming together as I wanted. So I took a step back to regroup.
I chatted with my husband about where I was going with the story and asked his advice about what it’s like to be a high school guy. He suggested rearranging a couple of scenes, which I think will help the story flow better.
Yet, getting this tale on paper is not going as smoothly as I wish. So I’m bringing out my inspiring writer quotes. Here are a few that apply:
“What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure.” -Samuel Johnson
“The difficulty of literature is not to write, but to write what you mean; not to affect your reader, but to affect him precisely as you wish.” – Robert Louis Stevenson
“If there’s a book you really want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.” – Toni Morrison
“Writing is easy. All you do is stare at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead.” – Gene Fowler
“A ream of fresh paper lies on my desk waiting for the next book. I am a writer and I take up my pen to write.” – Pearl S. Buck
This coming week, I am committed to getting this novel into shape — the way I want it to read, the way I would want to read it.
Meanwhile, here’s the update on my ROW80 goals for Round 1 of 2012:
- Finish editing Grace & Fire mystery novel and send to reader. Finished January 19.
- Write 1,500 words per week on young adult novel, Sharing Hunter. Didn’t add new words, but reworked a few scenes.
- Blog twice a week on Amaze-ing Words Wednesday and Deep-Fried Friday, and check-in with ROW80 updates twice a week. Posted Valentine’s Special: Candy Heart Sayings and These Boots Were Made for Shufflin’ & ROW80 on Wednesday and Have You Always Been a Writer? on Friday.
- Comment on at least 15 blogs per week (not counting ROW80 update comments). Tracked some comments, but not all. I probably commented on about 10 blogs. I have some catching up to do on my blog reading.
- Read one writing craft book. Finished On Writing by Stephen King this week.
- Read eight fiction books. 5 down, reading The Cat, the Lady and the Liar (a cozy mystery) by Leann Sweeney.
I’ll be cheering on my fellow ROWers with their progress this week too. You can do the same by clicking HERE.
So do you have favorite quotes? What words inspire you?