At my last update, I reported having been sick. I was 98% sure that I had strep throat. The signs were all there, or at least the killer sore throat. However, the lab results came back on Friday, and I have mononucleosis, aka “the kissing disease.” It is thus called because the virus that causes mono is spread by contact with saliva or mucus (ick) stored in the nose or throat. Think of something like Poison Ivy passing a little bad stuff through her smooches, and you’ve got the danger of mono and liplocking.
I don’t know where I got it. There are certainly other sources than kissing, and my husband are only getting lip action from each other and he doesn’t have it. The incubation period, however, is around 4 weeks, so who can even trace back that far?
From all accounts, I will be resting and recuperating for at least two weeks, likely more, and may not feel 100% for up to three months. I am not throwing a pity party, though. After all, I say, “Hey, the common cold is too common for me. I want a real illness. Bring it on!” The great thing about being past 40 is that three months really isn’t that long anymore. I’ll be back before I know it, but in the meantime, these ROW80 goals are getting a rework to be realistic about this round.
Note my original goals, progress, and revisions for Round 1 of 2012:
- Finish editing Grace & Fire mystery novel and send to reader. Finished January 19. Yeah, I don’t have to revise this one because it’s done!
- Write 2,500 words per week on young adult novel, Sharing Hunter. I started reworking a scene I had written last week. I don’t know how many new words I logged with this, but it’s nowhere near 2,500. Both my physical and mental energy are diminished, so I’m taking this down to 1,500 words per week. Even if I log three days of 500 words, I’ll hit my goal.
- Blog twice a week on Amaze-ing Words Wednesday and Deep-Fried Friday, and check-in with ROW80 updates twice a week. Posted 6 Ways to Say “You Spineless Weakling” and When Mom is Sick and my two updates. For now I’m sticking with this goal. Thankfully, I have several drafts in my queue, as I start typing something up whenever I get an idea and then revisit and flesh it out later.
- Comment on at least 10 blogs per week (not counting ROW80 update comments). I have no idea how I did on this goal. I actually think I should increase this goal to 15 blogs per week. Reading short blog posts is do-able for me right now, and I find it easy to comment. I have noticed that I make more grammar and punctuation mistakes when my brain is foggy, but hopefully I’ll be forgiven for that.
- Read one writing craft book. Reading On Writing; now on page 129 of 291. Keeping this one as is.
- Read five fiction books. 4 down. Reading Hondo by Louis L’Amour (not my usual genre). I plan to increase this one too, since reading in my bed is a way of getting that R&R. I think I can get through three more books at least — to eight fiction books for the round.
- Exercise three times per week. No exercise, since I’ve been sick this week. Ain’t happening, period. That’s too bad because I was considering getting a Zumba skirt. Maybe later.
Now tell me how you are doing. Are you healthy? Knocking out some goals? Needing to revamp any of them?