I have been sick all week. I started feeling bad on Sunday, went to the doctor on Tuesday and was tested for strep and mono, and still don’t feel 100%. I don’t know if my being sick is the universe mocking me for having written my What Will Get in Your Way post for the ROW80 challenge, in which I mention the possibility of illness being an obstacle to your writing goals. More likely, it was just a really bad idea to lick that shopping cart.
Since my brain has been like fudge this week, I am taking this Deep-Fried Friday to simply share what I’ve learned about when mom is sick (at least in my house).
- Most of the food eaten by the family is either from the snack category or was obtained at a drive-through window.
- Children must be told several times how far to stand away from you so as not to get catch what you have. I thought of carrying a yardstick around to measure.
- Dishes are put away in all the wrong places, and Mom is still very happy.
- Dad juggles almost good enough to get an offer from Barnum & Bailey. Only one to-do just couldn’t get done.
- Children do chores the first time they are asked when their mother’s voice is feeble and hoarse. Maybe I should fake that voice year-round.
- Mom gets complete control of the bedroom, making the night-table her medicine cabinet, the mattress her book and magazine pile, and claiming every last pillow for a cushy mountain of comfort.
- Mom wears no make-up, her flannel pajamas, and furry slippers without one thought as to how she looks.
- The house looks like it has been lived in by three men and two cats — which it has, without any clean-up from the mom.
- Whiskey is a completely legitimate substance to imbibe when putting a dash of it into a cup of hot tea with honey for mom. (Thank goodness I had that bottle from that recipe that one time.)
Indeed, what I have learned is what I pretty much knew but have enjoyed getting a reminder of: I am so blessed by my husband and sons. Each day, my boys come in and check on me, and my husband has taken up the slack in the parenting realm and also taken care of me.
On the writing front, not much has happened. And that’s okay. I’ll be five-by-five next week and ready to kick it into gear.
So how do you handle being sick? What are your favorite remedies? Do you have someone special who takes care of you?
Oh my goodness! Update at 1:25 p.m.: It’s NOT strep. The doctor’s office called and said the positive test result was for mono, aka the “kissing disease.” Guess my honey should get tested now. 😉