I am becoming more and more one of those writers who looks at world through my author kaleidoscope. As things happen around me and life unfolds, I think, “Hey, that could go in my novel!” “That could be a blog post.” “That reminds me of writing.” Which means that my brain is stewing with ideas much of the time.
So after participating in Zumba three times this week (muscles sore, booty happy), there is a song that I cannot get out of my head. Yep, it’s in the title: Big & Chunky by Will I Am. Here’s a quick video of it.
My take-away? “Big and Chunky” is a good way to set writing goals. Your writing goals should be BIG enough that you are challenged to meet them, though not sunk under their weight. They should also be CHUNKY, as in substantial. Sure I could throw out a BIG goal of commenting on 50 blogs a week, and that would challenge me, but it isn’t as CHUNKY, or substantive, as commenting on a few blogs and using the other time to knock out writing the novel. I want my goals to be both.
Around halfway through the ROW80 round, I take a look at my goals and decide if they are big enough and chunky enough. We’re not there yet, but that time will be here before I know it!
Here are my ROW80 goals for Round 1 of 2012:
- Finish editing Grace & Fire mystery novel and send to reader. Finished January 19.
- Write 2,500 words per week on young adult novel, Sharing Hunter. Logged 3,253 words. Woot! Woot!
- Blog twice a week on Amaze-ing Words Wednesday and Deep-Fried Friday, and check-in with ROW80 updates twice a week. Posted Our Love of Lyrics on Wednesday, Top 10 Dance Crazes on Friday, and two ROW80 updates.
- Comment on at least 10 blogs per week (not counting ROW80 update comments). Commented on 15 blog posts.
- Read one writing craft book. Started reading On Writing, about 45 pages in. The first 100 or so pages are Stephen King’s memoir.
- Read five fiction books. 3 down. Reading Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen for the 4th book.
- Exercise three times per week. Zumba THREE times this week! There are two morning classes in my community (Tuesday/Thursday), and then it just happened to be one of a few Saturdays when Friendswood offers free Zumba in the Park. There I was in public with about 25 other women exercising/dancing to Michael Jackson, Will I Am, and a lot of Spanish-speaking people singing who knows what.
This was probably my best week! Feeling good about my progress.
How are my fabulous fellow ROW80ers doing? Are you feeling big and chunky in your progress this week?