One of my ROW80 goals is to read a writing craft book. I have found that I cannot read more than one fiction or one nonfiction book at a time. I do best reading through one nonfiction and one fiction together, but not doubling up.
Consequently, I was in the middle of reading a nonfiction book about sex, so I wasn’t ready to start my writing craft book. I had heard great things about this particular book written from a biblical perspective and, although the hubby and I are doing fine (no worries), I wanted to read it just to glean the information.
But as I trudged through this material — until I reached page 132 and threw it aside — I kept thinking, “How do you make a book about sex so boring?!” Before you assume that it was a prudish point of view that ruined an otherwise exhilarating topic, I will say that they openly covered a lot of detail and advocated having lots of high quality sex in marriage. So what was it?
Then I realized: It’s the problem with every book I toss aside after several pages, regardless of subject matter or genre. There was no forward momentum. Each sentence was well-crafted to the point of being clinical and stale. The chapters stood alone and didn’t leave the reader asking, “What’s next?” The writing style overshadowed the content of the prose, such that I was much too aware of the authors throughout.
There are some great Christian books on sex (for example, Kevin Leman’s Sheet Music), but this one (which will go unnamed) wasn’t one. I sure hope that I write in a more compelling way, no matter what my subject is. And here’s hoping that Stephen King’s On Writing captures my interest, since it’s the next nonfiction book I’m picking up.
As for my overall goals in ROW80, here they are for Round 1 of 2012:
- Finish editing Grace & Fire mystery novel and send to reader. Check!
- Write 2,500 words per week on young adult novel, Sharing Hunter. Wrote Tuesday and Wednesday – 1271 words. I just learned about #teamsprinty. From 1:00 to 2:00 CST, I can join in with #ROW80 wordsprints. There’s always #wordmongering at the top of each hour for 30 minutes as well.
- Blog twice a week on Amaze-ing Words Wednesday and Deep-Fried Friday, and check-in with ROW80 updates twice a week. Check!
- Comment on at least 10 blogs per week. Check! Commented on 19 blog posts, not including replies I posted on my own blog and comments on others’ ROW80 updates. Still trying to read new blogs when I can.
- Read one writing craft book. Gave up the nonfiction book I was reading and now ready to jump into On Writing by Stephen King.
- Read five fiction books. 3 down. Started Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen.
- Exercise three times per week. Zumba! Had a great time at class on Tuesday morning. Now I am seriously sore. I hope to catch the class tomorrow. I may need to buy one of those Zumba cymbal skirts for when I really shake my groove thing.
Be sure to check out my fellow ROW80ers and wish them well HERE.