Much of our lives involves a this-or-that decision. With each yes to one thing, we say no to another. I was thinking about this as I recently tweeted with What-to-Watch TV Master Tiffany A. White about where am in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series (season 5 of Buffy, season 2 of Angel. Please do not tell me what happens!) I’m sure the ending I would like to see isn’t going to happen, but I am still holding out for Team Angel.
That’s how we talk about it these days, right? The Twilight fights of Team Edward vs. Team Jacob, this American Idol contestant or that one, this presidential candidate or that one (Bayard/Lamb 2012, by the way), and so on. However, my decision for the coming week is which of two novel ideas I should leap into and write. I have two plots and sets of characters that have been tugging at me like a protective vampire and a bullish werewolf. Which one to choose?
As a matter of fact, I had already written a chapter for each novel idea. Having let them air out for a while, I sat down on Friday to take a fresh look. The young adult novel is much further along in story structure. I know where this novel needs to go — what the protagonist’s goal and obstacles are, how to incorporate the characters’ quirks, what the conflict of the scenes should entail, and how the climax will unfold. The other plot idea is mushier — more promising in some ways, but less solid. As much as I like it and want to get crackin’, that plot needs more time to simmer. So I’m going for Team YA. With that decision made, here’s a look at my ROW80 progress for the week.
A Round of Words in 80 Days is the writing challenge that knows you have a life. Individual writers set their own goals for an 80-day round. Here are my ROW80 goals for Round 1 of 2012:
- Finish editing Grace & Fire mystery novel and send to reader. Edits done and in reader’s hands.
- Write 2,500 words per week on work in progress. Most importantly, I MUST decide which work in progress to tackle. I have two novels plotted and can’t choose which one to focus on. Both stories are tugging at my hem and begging for attention. I have decided to write the young adult novel; its working title is Sharing Hunter.
- Blog twice a week on Amaze-ing Words Wednesday and Deep-Fried Friday, and check-in with ROW80 updates twice a week. Finito.
- Comment on at least 10 blogs per week. Done. Commented on 14 blog posts. This does not include any ROW80 updates or replies to commenters on my own blog.
- Read one writing craft book. Still reading another nonfiction book before I jump into On Writing by Stephen King.
- Read five fiction books. 3 down, 2 to go.
- Exercise three times per week. 2 out of 3 ain’t bad?
Be sure to check out my fellow ROW80ers and wish them well HERE.
How are you doing with your goals? Have you had to make any this-or-that decisions lately?